The LaCie 2big 2-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Array features 12TB of storage capacity for your Thunderbolt- and USB-equipped systems. It comes with two hot-swappable bays that contain a 6TB 7200 rpm hard drive in each bay. The drives come formatted in HFS+, which provides compatibility with Mac. A reformat of the drives is required for Windows systems. For connectivity, the 2big sports a USB 3.0 port as well as two Thunderbolt 2 ports, so you can daisy chain with other Thunderbolt 2 devices. With a redesigned chassis, it has a wider footprint for stability and a 10% more compact design than the previous generation of 2big.
LaCie has armed this 2big with a hardware controller that provides RAID 1 and 0 modes as well as JBOD. With RAID 0, the 2big is able to offer 420 MB/s read and 320 MB/s write speeds. For data redundancy, RAID 1 mirrors the data to both drives. Moreover, a built-in Noctua fan quietly cools the 2big and drives.
- Thunderbolt 2
- Two onboard Thunderbolt 2 ports deliver 20 Gb/s bandwidths as well as daisy-chaining capabilities with up to six Thunderbolt-equipped devices via a single cable. With DisplayPort 1.2 support, this interface can connect to higher-resolution displays such as 4K monitors. Additionally, Thunderbolt 2 is backwards compatible and uses the same cables and connectors as first-generation Thunderbolt devices and computers.
- With USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2 interfaces, the LaCie 2big is able to deliver fast transfer speeds with Thunderbolt 2 devices, while offering compatibility with most systems via USB 3.0. Additionally, USB 3.0 backward compatibility provides connectivity with a standard computer. It comes built with hardware RAID, so you can seamlessly connect to computers without losing the RAID configuration.
- RAID for Speed or Security
- Hardware RAID delivers sustained performance and better reliability. It is easy to change the RAID mode, but nearly impossible to do so accidentally. You can leave it in RAID 0 (FAST) mode to maximize speed and capacity for working on current projects, and then move completed projects to archival storage quickly.
You can configure the LaCie 2big in RAID 1 or Mirroring (SAFE) mode, which provides data protection if one disk fails. With hot-swappable disks, you can simply replace a disk—from the front—without data loss and no work interruption. This configuration reduces the total capacity to half since one of the drives is used to mirror data.
Additionally, the LaCie 2big supports JBOD, letting you use each disk independently.
- Additional Features
Power-Saving Mode - save energy by pressing the power button to spin down disks without interrupting daisy chain transfers. Press and hold the button to shut down the product completely
Front-Accessible Disks and Disk Status LEDs - conveniently and quickly remove and replace disks from the front of the product. Keep track of disk health and RAID build status with the front-facing disk status LEDs
Redesigned Heat Dissipation System - the cooling system effectively diverts heat from components, ensuring long-term reliability. The fan pulls cool air through an unobstructed path from the front to the back, and the rear exhaust area size is 500% larger, allowing hot air to escape much faster
Integrated Cable Lock - prevent accidentally disconnected interface or power cables without compromising the look and design of the product
Noctua Fan - cools the LaCie 2big with large blades located at the rear of the enclosure. It turns on and off and at different speeds according to temperature
Redesigned Chassis - the LaCie 2big has a wider footprint but 10% more compact design compared to the previous generation of LaCie 2big
- Packed with Value for Pros
- With a bundled professional backup software suite and compatibility with Time Machine and Windows Backup, the LaCie 2big includes everything you need for secure backup. With email alerts, busy professionals can monitor their storage before potential problems escalate. This product also includes LaCie Private-Public software, which lets you prevent unauthorized access by password-protecting volumes with AES 256-bit encryption.